- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 medium apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Spoon half of the batter into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with apple slices; spread with remaining batter.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in walnuts. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forCrumble-Top Coffee Cake
"Delightful! I added 2 tsp. of vanilla to wet ingredients and an extra apple. I also doubled the crumble topping, adding 1/3 of it ove the apple layer. Really moist and flavorful. Also, I used mixed nuts and used an extra 1/2 cup there baking for full 60 min. Definitely will be making this recipe again!"
"delicious! i would cream the sugar and butter with eggs at the same time...and also coat the apples in cinnamon sugar as the other user suggested. SO GOOD. definitely a keeper :)"
" I only wish I would've noticed this recipe before I made the Martha Stewart version of a coffee cake. About as blah as Martha's haircut! This sounds so much better! "