- 6 small yellow summer squash (3 pounds), cut into chunks
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- Place squash in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil; boil, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain well, pressing squash to remove excess liquid. In a bowl, mash the squash. Stir in the eggs, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, sugar, onion, salt and pepper until blended.
- Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes. Toss remaining bread crumbs with butter; sprinkle over the top. Bake 20-30 minutes longer or until golden. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forCrumb-Topped Summer Squash Casserole
"I thought that I didn't really like squash until I tried this!! The only thing I changed was: I only used 1 tablespoon of sugar and I used Italian bread Crumbs because that's all I had. It was delicious!!"
"My family doesn't care for sweet summer squash, so I substituted 2 T Parmesan cheese for the 2 T sugar. Also, I halved the recipe. Good!"
"This is the best yellow squash casserole ever! The entire family loved it and my picky little son asked for seconds! This one's a keeper! Recipe always requested at potlocks."
"Fabulous! A family favorite for years! No matter where I bring this wonderful casserole, everyone requests the recipe! This ones a keeper. Even my picky little son loves it!"
"If I make this again I will omit the sugar. It was very sweet."
"This is a terrific squash recipe: it's fairly simple, delicious, and fast. You can't go wrong!"