Crumb-Topped Spinach-Stuffed Tomatoes
Golden brown crumbs add a pretty look to baked tomatoes. When your gang cuts into them, they will be delighted to find a savory spinach filling. They look special, but are very easy to make, and are always a hit a my house. —Debbie Andrew, Abingdon, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 8 medium tomatoes
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1-1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 4 teaspoons butter
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/2-in. shell; invert onto paper towels to drain.
- In a small bowl, combine the spinach, sour cream, cheddar cheese, onions and salt. Spoon about 1/2 cup into each tomato.
- Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs; top each with 1/2 teaspoon butter.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° until heated through, 40-45 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 stuffed tomato: 221 calories, 15g fat (10g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 369mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Spinach Stuffed Tomatoes in Taste of Home Cookbook Contest 2010/2011