VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 5 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1-1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt 1/3 cup chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream 1/2 cup butter and 1-1/2 cups sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla and melted chocolate. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Transfer to two greased 9-in. round baking pans.
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs, walnuts and remaining chocolate chips and butter. Break into small pieces; sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add the remaining sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Spread cream between layers and over sides of cake, leaving the crumb top exposed. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Crumb-Topped Chocolate Cake in Light & Tasty