Crumb-Topped Carrot Casserole
I'm the one who brings the vegetables to my relatives' holiday festivities. This one was handed down from my mother and is a family classic.—Lana Buelow, Reedsburg, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 pounds carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- Dash ground ginger
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons crushed saltines (about 5 crackers)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Place the carrots, water and salt in a skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until tender. Do not drain. Mash carrots. Stir in butter until melted. Add graham cracker crumbs and ginger. Lightly beat egg yolks; add to carrot mixture. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into carrot mixture. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 239 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 481mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 5g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Carrot Puff in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2010