Crumb-Topped Blueberry Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1. For batter, in a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine 1 cup flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- 2. Toss blueberries with remaining flour. Stir blueberries and cream cheese into creamed mixture (batter will be thick). Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- 3. For topping, in a small bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 piece: 277 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 219mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Crumb-Topped Blueberry Coffee Cake
"Made this for brunch yesterday-it was delicious! Everyone loved it. I doubled the crumb topping, and tossed the cream cheese cubes in flour before adding to batter. They were fairly evenly distributed in the cake. I also made a glaze with powder sugar, lemon juice and cream cheese and drizzled it over the top while it was warm! A definite keeper!!"
"Mine came out so dry. It was simple to assemble and it looked amazing! I don't know why it was so dry. It looks dry even when cut. :( Ideas?"
"Very, very good. I do think next time I may make more topping. I agree with those who said the cream cheese needs to be softened first. Maybe softening it in order to swirl it through might help. I did have some areas where there was no cream cheese at all. Still, though, this was a delicious coffee cake and I will make it again."
"Was concerned about the bland comment below. Not bland at all. It is WONDERFUL! I like that you include the cream cheese at the end so the little morsels are in there like a treat. I made in a loaf pan."
"This was a great recipe, easy and fast to make. I used 1/2 cup of blueberries and 1/2 cup of black berries instead of all blueberries."
"was very good...I was hoping the cream cheese would have melted out a bit instead of staying in a chunk so I may soften it an mix it in next time but overall really really yummy"
"Has become a family favorite. Everyone loves it."
"I believe I have made this recipe & any recipes which I'd rated as excellent, I turn to them time and again!"
"this recipe is amazing and it is super quick to make...love it"
"it's very yummy even my doughter who is sooooooooooooo picky when it comes to food loves it soo much and loves helping me make it"
"Great! soften the cream cheese first."
"I made three of these for Mother's Day. One for my mom, her co-worker and one for myself. Not only is it simple to make, but delicious!! My dad kept asking where I bought it from. It is a definite keeper and I will be making it this summer to take along camping!"
"super moist-will make again!"