When I was a girl, my dad raised and sold red and black raspberries for extra money. When berries were at their peak, the whole family was out there picking. This pie was our favorite.
Recommended: 78 Christmas Potluck Desserts for 12 or More
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries
- 3/4 cup halved thinly sliced peeled tart apple
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca
- Dash to 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cold butter
- In a bowl, combine the raspberries and apple. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, tapioca, cinnamon and nutmeg. Sprinkle over apple mixture; gently toss to coat evenly. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Divide pie pastry in half and roll each half into a 7-in. circle. Transfer pastry to two ungreased 4-in. fluted tart pans with removal bottoms. Trim pastry even with edge. Spoon raspberry mixture into pastry shells. Drizzle with melted butter.
- For topping, in a bowl, combine flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over raspberry mixture. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Crumb-Topped Apple Raspberry Tarts in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook 2003, p281