Crumb-Crusted Pork Roast with Root Vegetables
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1-1/2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and cubed
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 large celery root, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place roast on a rack in a shallow roasting pan coated with cooking spray. In a small bowl, mix honey, molasses and mustard; brush over roast.
- In a large bowl, mix sage, thyme and rosemary. In a small bowl, toss bread crumbs with Parmesan cheese and 2 teaspoons of the herb mixture; press onto roast.
- Add vegetables, oil, salt and pepper to remaining herb mixture; toss to coat. Arrange vegetables around roast.
- Roast 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 145°. Remove from pan; let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with vegetables.
Nutrition Facts3 ounces cooked pork with 3/4 cup vegetables: 302 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 313mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 5g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
May 7, 2012
I'm a big fan of root vegetables and this recipe turned out fantastic. I even added some beets as well. Company had very positive things to say.
Dec 5, 2011
I switched out the veggies to ones we liked, but this roast was awesome! We loved the sweet flavor and the bread crumbs.
Dec 1, 2011
I personally loved having different veggies to serve, especially seasonal ones. The pork turned out fine, even though I didn't use molasses. Good recipe.
Nov 8, 2011
I agree that the vegetables weren't something I would make again, but the pork was amazing and tender. We'll definitely be making the roast again--just pairing it with veggies and starches that we like better than these.
Oct 13, 2011
The meat was dry, the veggies were gross. This may be personal preference, but I didn't like it and won't be making it again.