Crumb Coating for Fish
Rosalie Mellott says she enjoys quick-and-easy recipes. "Being a farm wife, I don't have much time to prepare meals," she writes from Oakland, Maryland. "That's why I keep this mix for coating fish on hand."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 5 min.
- 1 cup crushed saltines (about 30 crackers)
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoon paprika
- 5 teaspoons seafood seasoning
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENT (for each batch):
- 1 pound sole fillets
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first six ingredients. Store in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 6 batches (2 cups total).
- To prepare fish: Place 1/3 cup coating in a large resealable plastic bad; add fillets, a few piece at a time. Seal bag and turn to coat.
- Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until fish flakes with a fork.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 136 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 460mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Crumb Coating for Fish in Quick Cooking January/February 2003