Crumb-Coated Chicken & Blackberry Salsa
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the flour, egg and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Coat chicken with flour, dip in egg, then coat with crumbs.
- In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil over medium heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Serve with salsa.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 411 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 175mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 3g fiber), 35g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 7, 2016
I am a Taste of Home Volunteer Field Editor. I enjoy testing recipes! I made the blackberry salsa to use up the large quantity of wild blackberries in our back yard. Due to a gluten intolerance in the family, I served it with grilled chicken breasts instead of the crumb coated chicken. It is superb! My husband couldn't get enough of it! Will be making this time and time again.
Jul 11, 2012
Delicious! I loved it. I seasoned the chicken with Mrs. Dash citrus seasoning. I seasoned the flour with Mrs Dash table blend and the panko crumbs with Mrs Dash chicken seasoning.
Jul 11, 2012
After using the blackberries l substituted Kiwi Fruit was not as sweet but just as wonderful! The kiwi version was also great with pork Chops
Aug 4, 2009
I have to admit, I was skeptical about using blackberries for the salsa at first. But they tasted wonderful with the balsamic vinegar and the maple syrup. I will definitely make this again.