My mom made this tender, juicy crown roast for Christmas once. It was an impressive and memorable change from traditional stuffing. —Christine Frazier, Auburndale, Florida
Recommended: 70 Impressive Christmas Dinner Ideas
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pork crown roast (16 ribs and about 9 pounds)
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 2 quarts water
- 2 cups uncooked wild rice
- 2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds seasoned Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- OPTIONAL GARNISH:
- Fresh kale and pickled whole beets
- Combine the salt, thyme, fennel and pepper; sprinkle over roast. Place on a rack in a large shallow roasting pan. Cover rib ends with foil. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 145°, basting occasionally with apple juice.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring water, rice and salt if desired to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until rice is tender.
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onions in butter until tender. Transfer to a large bowl. In same skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Drain rice; add rice and sausage to mushroom mixture and stir until blended.
- Remove roast from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes. Remove foil. Spoon stuffing into center of roast. Garnish platter with kale and beets if desired. To serve, carve between ribs. Yield: 16 servings (12 cups stuffing).
Originally published as Crown Roast with Wild Rice Stuffing in Taste of Home February/March 2009, p66