Crown Roast with Plum-Apple Stuffing
All eyes with be on this impressive roast when you place it on your holiday table. The fruit combination of golden raisin, dried plums and apples nicely complement the pork.—Marie Rizzio, Interlochen, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1-3/4 hours + standing
- 1 pork crown roast (14 ribs and about 9 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted dried plums
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2-1/2 cups cubed whole wheat bread, toasted
- 1 cup chopped peeled tart apple
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place roast, rib ends up, in a large shallow roasting pan. Combine the flour, salt and pepper; rub over roast. Cover rib ends with foil. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, place plums in a large bowl. Cover with boiling water; let stand for 5 minutes. Drain. Stir in the bread cubes, apple, raisins, apple juice, butter, brown sugar, lemon zest, paprika and cinnamon.
- Carefully spoon stuffing into center of roast. Bake until a thermometer reads 145°, 45 to 70 minutes longer. Transfer to a warm serving platter. Remove foil. Let roast stand for 10-15 minutes. Cut between ribs to serve.
Nutrition Facts1 rib with 1/4 cup stuffing: 374 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 322mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 38g protein.
Originally published as FESTIVE CROWN ROAST OF PORK WITH PRUNE-APPLE STUFFING in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2011