- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) ziti or small tube pasta
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook the beef, sausage, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, bay leaf, Italian seasoning, basil, sugar, salt, pepper flakes and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Uncover; simmer 15-30 minutes longer or until sauce reaches desired thickness. Discard bay leaf. Cool.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup sauce mixture, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup Romano cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and pasta.
- Spread 1-1/2 cups sauce mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Dot with 1/2 cup ricotta cheese. Top with pasta mixture. Pour remaining sauce mixture over the top. Dot with remaining ricotta cheese. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella, Romano and Parmesan cheeses.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 20-25 minutes longer or until bubbly. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forCrowd-Pleasing Baked Ziti
"My family loved this and my only change was adding 1/4 tsp thyme to the recipe."
"Made this for a potluck at church. There were no leftovers!!"