A garlic-olive paste is the delicious difference in this hearty make-ahead sandwich. —Jeannie Yee, Fremont, California
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling
- 1 cup pimiento-stuffed olives, finely chopped
- 1 cup pitted ripe olives, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 round loaf (2 pounds) unsliced Italian bread
- 1 pound thinly sliced deli turkey
- 12 ounces thinly sliced part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 16 slices)
- 1 pound thinly sliced hard salami
- 1 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; set aside. Cut bread in half horizontally. Carefully hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 1-in. shell (save removed bread for another use).
- Spread 1-1/2 cups olive mixture over bottom bread shell. Spread remaining olive mixture over cut side of top bread shell. In bottom of bread, layer the turkey, half of the cheese, salami, remaining cheese and ham. Replace bread top. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Cut into wedges to serve.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 573 calories, 33g fat (10g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 2291mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 32g protein.
Originally published as Muffaletta in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2005