Crouton Celery Casserole
When you tire of carrots, green beans and other vegetables, let celery take the spotlight. Guests have been especially fond of this recipe, which I received from a bridge club friend.— Elizabeth Parke, Fort Wayne, Indiana
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 cups thinly sliced celery
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery or chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained and halved
- 1-1/4 cups seasoned salad croutons, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Place celery in a saucepan and cover with water. Cover and bring to a boil. Uncover; cook for 5-6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and place in a bowl. Add the soup, water chestnuts, 1 cup croutons and 1/2 cup almonds. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- Crush remaining croutons; toss with butter and remaining almonds. Sprinkle over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and top is golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 142 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 423mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Crouton Celery Casserole in Casserole Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.