VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 cups thinly sliced celery
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery or chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained and halved
- 1-1/4 cups seasoned salad croutons, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Place celery in a saucepan and cover with water. Cover and bring to a boil. Uncover; cook for 5-6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and place in a bowl. Add the soup, water chestnuts, 1 cup croutons and 1/2 cup almonds. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- Crush remaining croutons; toss with butter and remaining almonds. Sprinkle over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and top is golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Crouton Celery Casserole in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p238