Croque Monsieur Toast Cups
Ooh la la! Bring the flair of France to your next Christmas party with bubbly toast cups inspired by Croque Monsieur—a French grilled sandwich featuring ham and cheese.
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Broil: 5 min./batch
- 12 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash white pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham, julienned
- Minced chives
- Flatten bread with a rolling pin; cut each slice into four squares. Brush both sides of bread with butter; press into miniature muffin cups. Bake at 325° for 14-16 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan melt butter; whisk in flour and seasonings until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Place 1/4 teaspoon mustard in each toast cup. Sprinkle half of the cheese into cups. Layer each with ham, sauce and remaining cheese. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with chives.
Originally published as Croque Monsieur Toast Cups in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.