My son and I love having a croque-madame (a fried egg atop our grilled ham and cheese) for lunch. If eggs aren't your favorite, you can make the sandwich without it (which makes it a croque-monsieur). —Carolyn Turner, Reno, Nevada
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound thinly sliced Gruyere cheese, divided
- 16 slices sourdough bread
- 1-1/2 pounds thinly sliced deli ham
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 to 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place half of the cheese on 8 bread slices; top with ham and remaining bread. Spread outsides of sandwiches with softened butter.
- On a griddle, toast sandwiches over medium heat 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Spread tops with mayonnaise; top with remaining cheese. Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet; bake 4-5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, for eggs, heat 1 tablespoon butter on griddle over medium-high heat. Break 4 eggs, 1 at a time, onto griddle. Reduce heat to low. Cook until desired doneness, turning after whites are set if desired. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place eggs over sandwiches. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 758 calories, 47g fat (24g saturated fat), 344mg cholesterol, 1691mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 46g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.