These flaky, light golden-brown croissants will make holiday lunch or dinner something special for your family-and the overnight dough will make things more convenient for you!
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 6-1/4 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups plus 1 tablespoon milk, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat 2 cups milk and water to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat butter until softened but still cold. Spread half of the butter into a 10x9-in. rectangle on a piece of waxed paper. Cover with waxed paper and refrigerate. Repeat with remaining butter.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough into two pieces. Roll one piece into a 15x10-in. rectangle. Remove top sheet from butter; invert over two-thirds of dough. Remove other sheet. Fold unbuttered dough over butter. Fold other side over top. Roll out into a 15x10-in. rectangle. Fold into thirds. Repeat rolling and folding twice. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight. Repeat with remaining dough and butter.
- On a floured surface, roll one piece into a 25x5-in. rectangle. Cut into 5-in. square pieces. Cut each square diagonally in half, forming two triangles. Roll up triangles from the wide end and place pointed side down 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Curve ends down to form crescent shape. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat egg with remaining milk. Brush over rolls. Bake at 400° for 14-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove with a spatula to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 262 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 286mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.