Crock O’ Brats
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 5 uncooked bratwurst links (1-1/4 pounds) , cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1 medium tart apple, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- In a large skillet, brown bratwurst on all sides. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the remaining ingredients. Stir in bratwurst and pan drippings. Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours or until potatoes and apple are tender.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 393 calories, 19g fat (7g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 1245mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 6g fiber), 14g protein.
Dec 6, 2012
Since I was late starting I put the potatoes and onions in with the brats as I sauted them. Then put the sauerkraut in the bottom of crockpot and the brat mixture over. I left out the brown sugar and apple. I think I could have left out the salt. Very good. Next time I would add some beef broth to make it a little juicier.
Oct 28, 2011
Aug 19, 2010
Excellent, have made this many times with brats or ribs. I brown the ribs before putting in the slow cooker. Always turns out great.
Jan 18, 2010
This recipe is easy to make and tastes great. If you love brats and sauerkraut, you will love it.
Mar 10, 2009
I have made this recipe twice now and it is wonderful,my husband really enjoyed it, I added more sauerkraut and added a little caraway, we loved it. I will definitely make it again.I would give this recipe an AKlobucher
Feb 12, 2009
Everyone in my family enjoyed this except for my youngest daughter and that was just because she doesn't like sauerkraut. I made it even easier and eliminated the browning step by using precooked bratwurst (the smoked sausage type). I also threw in some hot dogs that I needed to use up so I doubled the other ingredients. The whole house smelled really good while it was cooking! We'll definitely make this again!
Aug 29, 2008
This recipe was "okay". I've been cooking a different meal from this site every day, and this was my least favorite. The brown sugar gave it a better taste, and my husband said it reminded him of German cooking (he lived there) so that was a good thing. However, my tween kids had to be forced to eat it. Overall, okay recipe, but I doubt I will make it again.