VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 4 green onions
- 8 ounces extra-firm tofu, drained
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 8 ounces fresh sugar snap peas (about 2 cups), trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot
- Mix first four ingredients. Mince white parts of green onions; thinly slice green parts.
- Cut tofu into 1/2-in. cubes; pat dry with paper towels. Toss tofu with cornstarch. In a large skillet, heat 4 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu; cook until crisp and golden brown, 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan; drain on paper towels.
- In same pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add peas; stir-fry until crisp-tender, 2-3 minutes. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add pepper; cook 30 seconds. Add garlic, ginger and minced green onions; stir-fry 30-45 seconds. Stir in soy sauce mixture; cook and stir until slightly thickened. Remove from heat; stir in tofu and peas. Sprinkle with sliced green onions. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Crispy Tofu with Black Pepper Sauce in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2017, p198