Crispy Sunflower Cookies
These cookies are so yummy and so easy to put together. The ingredients are always on hand so they will be done in no time at all.—Margaret Janssen, Emery, South Dakota
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 1-1/4 cups shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup sunflower kernels
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, butter and sugar. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in coconut and sunflower kernels.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets; flatten slightly. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 4 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Editor's NoteThis recipe does not use eggs.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 231 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 141mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Crispy Sunflower Cookies in Birds & Blooms October/November 2000