- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Colored sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extract. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters. Place on greased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugar.
- Bake at 400° for 7-9 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Reviews forCrispy Sugar Cookies
"I made these cookies last week for a funeral luncheon, they were so well received, I will make them again. They taste great."
"I love Lemon Cookies, My friend passed this on to me, they are so.... good.Helen B."