I first tasted these cookies as a newlywed in 1959. Over the years, I've made a few modifications, and now they turn out perfectly every time. —Joanne Kramer, Manchester, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 5-1/2 dozen
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups crisp rice cereal, divided
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Crush 2 cups of cereal; add flour, baking soda and baking powder. Gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in butterscotch chips and remaining cereal. Combine topping ingredients in a small bowl.
- Roll dough into 1-1/4-in. balls, then roll in topping. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets; flatten slightly with glass.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 188 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 110mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Crispy Scotchies in Best of Country Cookies