- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 2 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeds removed and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Cooking spray
- 8 pita pocket halves
- 8 romaine leaves
- 8 slices tomato
- 16 cooked Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, halved
- In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise, garlic and lemon peel. Cover and chill until serving.
- Place flour, milk and bread crumbs in three separate shallow bowls. Coat squash and jalapeno slices with flour, then dip in milk and coat with bread crumbs. Place on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Spritz vegetables with additional cooking spray.
- Bake at 475° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.
- Spread mayonnaise mixture inside pita halves; fill with lettuce, tomatoes, bacon and breaded vegetables. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forCrispy Pita BLT's
"The baked veggies are what made me want to try this and am I glad I did. Different and delicious!"
"What a great combination of flavors!"
"Love the addition of jalapenos!"