- 16 ounces frozen popcorn chicken (about 4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- Bake popcorn chicken according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in orange peel, juice, hoisin sauce, sugar and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 4-6 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken to skillet; toss to coat. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forCrispy Orange Chicken
"This looked so good, but we did not like this combination of flavors. Too much orange peel for starters. I am a big fan of asian food...but not this."
"I tagged this one to try, as soon as I saw it in the magazine, but only just got around to trying it. Total success! It tastes like good take-out, and is ready quicker than delivery!"
"I suggest omitting hoisin sauce,cayenne pepper, orange peel and sugar, instead use orange marmalade , red pepper flake and ginger to give the dish that Asian heat. yum"
"Wonderful recipe!! I added a dash of ginger and an extra clove of garlic. So easy!"
"This recipe was very easy to make, but my family strongly disliked it. The hoisin sauce overwhelmed the orange flavor. Apparently, my family just doesn't like that particular flavor of Asian cuisine. I did double the sauce, and would agree that 1.5 times is enough. 5 stars for being quick and easy, but a no-go on the flavor. If you like hoisin, this recipe would be a keeper, I'm sure."
"Very tasty. I loved how quickly dish came together, with minimal chopping as is involved with many Asian dishes. I followed others instructions and doubled the sauce. Probably 1.5 times the sauce would be about right."
"Delicious recipe! Much more authentic than other orange chicken ones I've tried. This was my first time cooking with hoisin sauce and wasn't sure what to expect. But the tangy sauce combined very well with the orange flavoring. I forgot to buy white rice, so I made some couscous as a side dish, which complimented the chicken nicely."
"I agree, needed more sauce (would double next time.) But overall, a fast and delicious meal. Great for a meal when you feel like takeout, but want to make yourself. Love the suggestion about using frozen stir fry vegetables, thanks! I had not bought popcorn chicken either, this was a first for me!"
"Delicious! I never thought that I would be able to make something that tastes so good."