Crispy Orange-Almond Cookies
I like to serve these light crispy cookies with ice cream or sherbet. The recipe is a personal favorite because it came from a good friend.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, orange juice, peel and extract. Combine flour and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in almonds.
- Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 100 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 19mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Crispy Orange-Almond Cookies in Best of Country Cookies
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.