- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (6 ounces) cheddar or original French-fried onions, crushed, divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- In a shallow bowl, combine butter, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic salt and pepper. In another shallow bowl, place 1/2 cup crushed onions. Dip chicken in butter mixture, then coat with onions.
- Place in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Top with remaining onions; drizzle with any remaining butter mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forCrispy Onion Chicken
"I made this recipe for dinner tonight, using the new Caramelized Onion flavor French-fried onions. They are a bit sweeter than the regular onion topping, but the mustard in the butter mixture balanced that out nicely. It came together nicely, and the topping did stick to the chicken. Don't worry about the amount of butter -- it seemed that any extra remelted and drained off the chicken."
"I halved the breasts, used half the butter called for, twice the onions called for and after they were done put them on a rack over the pan I cooked them in, spooned the juices on them and let them rest in the oven at 200 for a few minutes to let them crisp up. Excellent. :)"
"I found garlic-pepper flavored fried onions in the produce department, so I omitted the garlic salt and pepper. Turned out great!"
"Great flavor, but as others said, too much butter. I will definitely make again with half the butter or olive oil as suggested by others. Only about half of the onions were needed to coat the chicken well, so I would suggest starting with half the can, then add more if needed."
"This is one of our very favorite meals. It is on our menu every several weeks. I substitute olive oil for the butter and it is so good. I highly recommend this recipe as a Volunteer Field Editor."
"chicken was very moist, but just too oniony for our tastes. Perhaps, if I had read the other reviews about cutting down on butter and using the cheddar onions we might have liked it more."
"to much butter baked for 40 minuted and chicken not done and onions not crispy. put on a broiler pan and baked another 15 minutes in my convection oven to finish cooking the chicken. i made it exactly like the recipe. will try again and use just enought butter to make onions stay on chicken before baking"