Crispy Onion Chayote Bites
For a change of pace, substitute Chayotes for the summer squash. They are a gourd-like fruit similar in size, color and shape to a large green pear. They are also known as 'mirlitons'.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 3 cups (6 ounces) French's® Original or Cheddar French Fried Onions
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 to 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 to 2 medium zucchini or yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Place onions in a resealable plastic bag. Seal bag and crush onions with hands or rolling pin. Transfer to a pie plate or waxed paper. Place flour in another plastic bag. Place eggs in a shallow bowl, lightly beat.
- Toss squash pieces in flour; shake off excess. Dip into beaten egg; then coat in onion crumbs, pressing firmly to adhere. Place squash pieces in a single layer on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.