- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (2 to 3 pounds each), cut up or 16 pieces of chicken
- 3-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- Place chicken pieces in a large bowl; add 3 teaspoons salt, lemon juice and enough water to cover chicken. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Drain thoroughly. In a resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, paprika, pepper and remaining salt. Add chicken pieces; seal bag and toss to coat.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/2 in. of oil to 375°. Add chicken; brown on all sides, about 20 minutes. Reduce heat. Carefully add water; cover and cook for 20 minutes or until juices run clear. Uncover; cook 10 minutes longer or until chicken is crisp. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forCrispy Lemon-Fried Chicken
"This is a recipe we like. Even better the next day"
"This is hands-down the best fried chicken recipe EVER!"