Crispy Herb Bread
Ruby Williams uses herbs to fix this better-for-you garlic bread, which has lots of flavor but little fat. "I live in garlic country, so I use garlic in most every dish," reports the Bogalusa, Louisiana reader.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 loaf (8 ounces) French bread, halved lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a small bowl, combine oil and garlic powder; brush over bread. Sprinkle with the remaining ingredients. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 7-9 minutes or until lightly browned. Cut each half into five slices.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 87 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 166mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Originally published as Crispy Herb Bread in Quick Cooking March/April 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.