Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min. + cooling
MakesOne small gingerbread house approximately 8 in. x 10-in
- 1-1/2 cups dark corn syrup
- 1-1/3 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan, combine the corn syrup, sugar and butter; cook and stir over medium heat until butter is melted. Pour into a large bowl.
- Combine dry ingredients; gradually beat into sugar mixture (dough will be stiff). Chill for at least 1 hour. Roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness on a greased baking sheet. Cut into desired shapes; remove dough scraps.
- Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 5 minutes; remove from pan to wire racks to cool.
Originally published as Crispy Gingerbread in Country Woman November/December 1997