Crispy Fried Chicken
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 15 min./batch
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 2-1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 large Eggland's Best eggs
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3-1/2 to 4 pounds each), cut up
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large shallow dish, combine 2-2/3 cups flour, 2 tablespoons garlic salt, 1 tablespoon paprika, 2-1/2 teaspoons pepper and 2-1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning. In another shallow dish, beat eggs and 1-1/2 cups water; add 1 teaspoon salt and the remaining 1-1/3 cup flour and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then place in the flour mixture, a few pieces at a time. Turn to coat.
- In a deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Working in batches, fry chicken, several pieces at a time, until golden brown and a thermometer inserted into chicken reads 165°, about 7-8 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked chicken: 543 calories, 33g fat (7g saturated fat), 137mg cholesterol, 798mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 41g protein.
Apr 20, 2019
I added a tablespoon of sesame oil to the coat and it came out superb. It also learn me an A* in catering so that proves it's awesomeness.
Mar 18, 2019
The breading was fantastic but even with the temp probe showing the right temp, the chicken still was not cooked through. Any suggestions?
Mar 16, 2019
Tried this and it was nowhere near the KFC recipe. The texture was horrible. The flavor came nowhere close to KFC. What a waste of ingredients I used. Never use this recipe again.
Mar 3, 2019
After 35 years, I've finally found the perfect fried chicken using boneless, skinless chicken breasts! I was concerned about the quantity of added spices, but then I saw the recipe was for 8 lbs. of chicken. I cut it by 3/4ths for 2 lbs. of chicken, and my spice adverse husband was thrilled with the result. I did let the coated breasts "rest" for 15 minutes, and then placed the cooked chicken back on the cookie rack until dinner was served. Even the skinless breast pieces were crispy and crunchy. We both walked away from dinner thrilled with the results. Phew! Finally...
Feb 10, 2019
This recipe worked great! Only thing I did was add more seasonings, I added 1 tablespoon onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder, and 1 tablespoon Weber roasted garlic and herb. This came out awesome! I highly recommend letting the chicken after breading sit for 3 minutes for frying, we did that and no breading came off at all. We copied this into a notebook and we will definitely us again.
Jan 26, 2019
Surprised to see some of these negative reviews. I have tried many recipies to make fried chicken and it would come out mediocre at best, this is by far the best recipe for fc I have evr used. The chicken came out perfect with a flavorful crispy skin. Thank you for this.
Jan 23, 2019
My son and I made this recipe for supper last night and we were so happy with the results! I'm in my early 50s and this chicken tastes how KFC chicken used to taste. It is not as salty as some of the recipes that we have tried and we really liked the subtle flavors of the herbs (in the poultry seasoning). We drained the pieces on paper towels and had no issues with any sogginess. Definitely a winner!
Dec 30, 2018
My feel was hurt because a year ago I gave taste of Home my Creole Fried Chicken and I posted . And gave them my recipe. They didn’t post it. From Anne Kimble
Oct 22, 2018
This came out horrible- flavorless and undercooked! I substituted Trader Joe's onion salt blend for garlic salt, and adobo seasoning for chicken seasoning, but neither should have resulted in the incredibly bland crust this recipe produced. Glad I didn't spend much on the chicken drumsticks, we literally ended up throwing it in the trash and buying KFC for dinner instead :(
Oct 8, 2018
I love this recipe. But I didn't add any salt at all because I think KFC is way too salty!! It turned out great.