Crispy Elephant Ears
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 3-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine milk, water and yeast; set aside. In another large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add egg to yeast mixture; beat into dry ingredients until blended. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Knead 8-10 times. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Roll into an 18x10-in. rectangle. Brush with 2 tablespoons butter. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle 1 cup over dough. Beginning with a long side, roll up jelly-roll style pinch edges to seal. Cut into 1-in. slices.
- For each elephant ear, sprinkle a small amount of the remaining cinnamon-sugar on a piece of waxed paper. Place a slice of dough on cinnamon-sugar; roll into a 5-in. circle.
- Place sugared side down on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush with some of the remaining butter; sprinkle with pecans and cinnamon-sugar. Bake 9-11 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 251 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sep 4, 2012
These are delicious! I made them for my son's circus-themed party. They'd make a tasty treat for a chilly fall night, too! Tip: Work quickly while the dough is still chilled. I think the dough rolls better when it's colder :)
Aug 20, 2012
A little work, but well worth the results. DELICIOUS !!!
Aug 3, 2012
A scratch dough to create a Country Fair Treat. Yield 18 5" cookies.