Crispy Eggplant Bruschetta
One word describes this summer appetizer..."wonderful"! The crispy exterior of the tender eggplant slices and the robust taste of tomato and basil topping create a dynamic flavor duo. It's delicious served chilled or at room temperature.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 4 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinaigrette
- Place eggs in a shallow bowl. In a separate shallow bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper. In another bowl, combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Dip eggplant in the flour mixture, eggs, then bread crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook eggplant in batches in oil for 4-5 minutes on each side or until tender. Drain on paper towels.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion and basil. Top each eggplant slice with mozzarella cheese and tomato mixture. Drizzle with vinaigrette.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 204 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 267mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Eggplant Bruschetta in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.