- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter or margarine
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a bowl, combine the flour and sugar; cut in butte until crumbly. Press into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy saucepan, combine dates, sugar and butter; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup hot mixture to egg; return all to pan. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in cereal, nuts and vanilla. Spread over crust. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a mixing bowl, combine frosting ingredients; beat until creamy. Frost cooled bars; cut and store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forCrispy Date Bars
"I've gotten rave reviews every time I have made these. I like them better when I leave out the sugar in the date layer, and it's important that the butter in the crust is cold (it makes the crust tough if not). I've made it with nuts and without and it's good both ways. Yum!"
"Next time I will cut down on the crust. It seemed there was more crust than filling. Filling was extra good. 24 servings from a 9 x9 pan?? The bars would have to be extra small for that. They are rich so cut them a bit small."