- 3 cups cubed Italian bread
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white or brown balsamic vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Place bread cubes in a single layer in an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 450° for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown, stirring twice. Cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, mozzarella, yellow pepper and basil. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper: shake well. Drizzle over salad and toss to coat. Sprinkle with croutons. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forCrispy Crouton Salad
"it is so good. I make it all the time. I use croutons instead of baked bread to speed it up."
"This was easy and good, but the dressing lacked something. Next time I make it I'm going to use white balsamic vinegar instead of brown, and garlic powder instead of minced garlic and see how it comes out. Also I will try adding the basil to the dressing, perhaps the night before to let the flavors blend."