Crispy Chicken Strip Salad
Serve this attractive main-dish salad for a luncheon with friends, and you're sure to win raves. Well-seasoned chicken strips, raspberries and candied pecans top a bed of fresh greens flavored with a fruity vinaigrette.—Lily Julow, Lawrenceville, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon or 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 large eggs
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups spring mix salad greens
- 1 cup torn Bibb or Boston lettuce
- 1/2 cup raspberry vinaigrette
- 2 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries
- In a small skillet, melt butter. Add pecans and cook over medium heat until nuts are toasted, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar. Cook and stir for 2-4 minutes or until sugar is melted. Transfer to a greased foil-lined baking sheet; cool completely.
- In a large resealable bag, combine the flour, tarragon and lemon zest. In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs. Add chicken strips to flour mixture in batches; seal and shake to coat. Dip in eggs, then return to bag and coat again.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in oil for 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Break the pecans apart. Toss the greens and lettuce with vinaigrette; arrange on individual plates. Top with raspberries, chicken strips and pecans.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 508 calories, 38g fat (6g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 326mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 8g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Crispy Chicken Strip Salad in Taste of Home February/March 2005