"Topped with creamy chocolate ribbons, these meringues are rich-tasting but feather-light," notes Beverly Albrecht of Beatrice, Nebraska. "You'll think you're biting into a decadent dessert that's off-limits, but it's not."
Recommended: 42 Desserts That Are Just Too Cute
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups chocolate-flavored crisp rice cereal
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon shortening
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form, about 6 minutes. Fold in cereal.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 1 in. apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 300° for 35-40 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Transfer to a small resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in the corner of bag. Drizzle melted chocolate over meringues. Place on waxed paper to set. Yield: 64 cookies.
Originally published as Crispy Cereal Meringues in Light & Tasty February/March 2001, p53