Crispy Caramel Treats
Kids love these triple-decker treats for the holidays-or any time at all. I always make several batches because my neighbors can't seem to get enough of them.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup plus 10 tablespoons butter, divided
- 8 cups miniature marshmallows, divided
- 8 cups crisp rice cereal, divided
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- In a large saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter and 4 cups marshmallows; stir until smooth. Stir in 4 cups cereal. Pat into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. pan; set aside.
- For caramel filling, place the caramels and 10 tablespoons butter in another saucepan; cook and stir over low heat until melted. Stir in the milk until smooth. Cool for 10 minutes; pour over cereal layer. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes or until firm.
- In a large saucepan, melt the remaining butter and marshmallows. Stir in remaining cereal. Spread over caramel layer. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Hershey caramels.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 223 calories, 9g fat (6g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 193mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Crispy Caramel Treats in Country Woman Christmas 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.