Crispy Cajun Panfish
"My mother is the fisherwoman in our family," writes Gayle Cook from her home in Minot, North Dakota. "Her recipe is always a hit, even with people who say they don't care for fish."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 pounds bass, bluegill or crappie fillets
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups mashed potato flakes
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first five ingredients. Add fish, one piece at a time; shake to coat. Whisk eggs and water in a shallow dish. Place potato flakes in another shallow dish. Dip each fillet in egg mixture, then coat with potato flakes. Dip fish again in egg mixture and potato flakes.
- In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Cook fish in batches for 3-4 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork, adding oil as needed.