Crispy Breakfast Slices
I often prepared this dish when my kids were young. Now that they're grown, I still make it for my husband. He finally admits he looked forward to eating it as much as the kids!
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min.
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- Maple syrup, optional
- In a saucepan, bring water, sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg to a boil. Stir in oats. Return to a boil; cook 1 minute. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Pour into a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Unmold and cut into 1/2-in. slices. Fry in butter in a skillet over medium heat until browned, about 6-8 minutes. Serve with syrup if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 103 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 296mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Crispy Breakfast Slices in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook