Crispy Breakfast Slices
I often prepared this dish when my kids were young. Now that they're grown, I still make it for my husband. He finally admits he looked forward to eating it as much as the kids!
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min.
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- Maple syrup, optional
- In a saucepan, bring water, sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg to a boil. Stir in oats. Return to a boil; cook 1 minute. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Pour into a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Unmold and cut into 1/2-in. slices. Fry in butter in a skillet over medium heat until browned, about 6-8 minutes. Serve with syrup if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 103 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 296mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Crispy Breakfast Slices in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.