Meet the Cook: I am a self-taught cook whose family had to eat a lot of "mistakes" till I got the right taste! I changed the meat and flavoring many times in this one-dish meal, for example. Now, it's a favorite. I just served it to 24 people at a party. My husband and I have seven grown children and 10 grandchildren. -Joy Rackham, Chimacum, Washington
Recommended: 30 Mexican Dinners Ready in 30 Minutes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Picante sauce
- Shredded lettuce
- Finely chopped green onions
- Chopped tomatoes
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine flour and baking powder; add the milk to form a soft dough. Cover and let rest for 1 hour.
- About 30 minutes before serving, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in garlic, chilies, taco seasoning and water; simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in beans; heat through and keep warm.
- Divide dough into sixths. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 7-in. circle. In a deep-fat fryer, preheat oil to 375°. Fry tostadas in hot oil until golden, turning once; drain on paper towels. Top each with meat mixture, picante sauce, lettuce, onions, tomatoes and cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Crispy Beef Tostadas in Country Woman September/October 1995, p29
Reviews forCrispy Beef Tostadas
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 10, 2014
"Husband really liked these-bdw"
Reviewed Feb. 9, 2012