Crisp Sand Stars
With a subtle almond flavoring and a whole almond in the center, these thin crispy cookies should play a starring role on your Christmas cookie platter.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Unblanched whole almonds
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- Additional sugar
- In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Beat in the egg yolks, milk and extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate dough for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. star cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Press an almond in the center of each. Brush with egg white; sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 41 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 55mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Crisp Sand Stars in Country Woman Christmas 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.