I adapted an old recipe to produce these lightly sweet cookies. They have a wonderful cinnamon and nutmeg flavor that makes them a favorite at our house for the holidays.
Recommended: 70 Sweet & Savory Pecan Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup cold butter (no substitutes)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in syrup. Add pecans. Shape into a 12-in. roll; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- For glaze, beat egg yolk and water. For topping, combine sugar and cinnamon. Brush glaze over cookies and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. Bake at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Crisp Pecan Rounds in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2001, p30