Crisp Gingerbread Cutouts
My grandsons Nathan and Caleb Wray started cooking by helping their grandpa mix up waffle and pancake batter. Now we make these cookies together.—Shelia Hanauer, Reidsville, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Raisins, halved
- Red-hot candies
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and egg. Combine the dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture and mix well (dough will be soft). Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. gingerbread boy cookie cutter and place on greased baking sheets. Add raisins for eyes and red-hots for buttons. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Originally published as Crisp Gingerbread Cutouts in Taste of Home December/January 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.