Crisp Cranberry Gelatin
How can gelatin be "crisp?" When it's chock-full of chopped apple and celery! This tangy favorite gets a nice crunch from walnuts, too.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 package (3 ounces) orange gelatin
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- In a large saucepan, bring cranberries and water to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 3 minutes or until the berries pop, stirring occasionally. Stir in sugar and gelatin until dissolved. Pour into an 11x7-in. dish; refrigerate until set but not firm, about 1 hour.
- Combine the apple, celery, walnuts, orange juice and zest; stir into gelatin mixture. Refrigerate until firm.
Originally published as Cranberry Fruit Salad in Country Woman Christmas 2007