- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup cold water
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cheddar cheese. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup water. Toss with a fork (if dough is dry, add water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until dough forms a ball). Wrap tightly in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into an 11x10-in. rectangle. Cut into 5x1/2-in. strips. Carefully twist each strip and place on greased baking sheets, pressing ends down.
- Bake at 425° for 7-9 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately sprinkle twists with Parmesan cheese. Cool on wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 7 dozen.
Reviews forCrisp Cheese Twists
"My family loved these. I used whole wheat flour for some of the all purpose flour, and did not use the Parmesan cheese (preference).I rolled out the dough, cut into strips and twisted the strips without any issues."
"Very easy and yummy!"
"These were excellent, except I used cookie cutters to make little cracker-like stars and circles. They weren't the right consistency for cutting and twisting. They would have broken apart if I tried that, which is the reason why I used a cookie cutter instead. However, taste wise they are excellent. Don't even need a spread or dip! Very cheesy and would be even better if you sprinkled a bit of cayenne pepper for some kick."