Crisp Cheese Breadsticks
This recipe is a great way to use up day-old bread. They are great served alongside soup or salad. And guests at my card game parties love them as appetizers.—Elizabeth Tonn, Waukesha, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 jar (5 ounces) sharp American cheese spread
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 unsliced loaf (1 pound) day-old white or wheat bread
- In a small bowl, combine the cheese spread, butter, egg white, Italian seasoning and garlic powder; beat until fluffy and blended.
- Remove crust from bread. Cut loaf in half widthwise. Cut each half horizontally into thirds; cut each portion lengthwise into fourths. (Strips will measure about 4 in. x 1 in. x 1 in.)
- Spread cheese mixture over all sides of strips; place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 203 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 477mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Crisp Cheese Breadsticks in Taste of Home April/May 2002