Crisp Butter Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Colored sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture, mixing well (dough will be very stiff).
- On a well-floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. With a sharp knife or pastry wheel, cut dough into 2-1/2-in. squares, rectangles or diamonds. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugar.
- Bake at 375° until lightly browned, 7-8 minutes. (Watch carefully as cookies will brown quickly.) Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in airtight containers.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie (calculated without colored sugar): 77 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 27mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 29, 2015
How do you get 4 dozen cookies and72 servings?
Mar 18, 2014
my all time favorite
Nov 16, 2011
I think vanilla was left out of the recipe....
Dec 11, 2010
If I could give this recipe no stars I would. As the two other reviewers said, it's very bland. No amount of colored sugar could improve that.
Nov 27, 2010
Needed flavoring. No taste. Too crumbly not crispy.
Dec 30, 2009
Very bland. No taste at all even with the sprinkles!