Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Colored sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture, mixing well (dough will be very stiff).
- On a well-floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. With a sharp knife or pastry wheel, cut dough into 2-1/2-in. squares, rectangles or diamonds. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugar.
- Bake at 375° until lightly browned, 7-8 minutes. (Watch carefully as cookies will brown quickly.) Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in airtight containers.
1 cookie (calculated without colored sugar): 77 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 27mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.